This blog has been created for me to regularly demonstrate my thoughts and what I have learnt about Future Trends and Emerging Technologies

Monday 3 September 2012

RFID in Supermarkets

Having had worked in a supermarket myself, for two years, at Countdown, I have had experience with using little hand held devices which I had to carry everywhere, to send reports to an upstairs computer.
I and my work collegues found it all a bit too ridiculous, as we were only a small supermarket, with, at most, one person in each department at a time, that we felt it a waste of time having to send a report on what stock needed to be put into the store, then take 15 minutes to run upstairs, find the report on the computer, print it out and then run back down stairs, across to the otherside of the store and start filling the shop up.
Before we had to work with these handheld devices all we did was take a pen and a scrap of paper, spend 5 minutes in the shop jotting down what we needed and then start filling the shop up. Much less time and hassle!!!

So after watching the following video clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eob532iEpqk
I decided to do some research of my own.

This article http://www.thinkspain.com/news-spain/7483/getting-rfid-of-supermarket-queues is a brief one about a German supermarket tagging RFID chips in their grocery items, with information such as the price and product information, which is transmitted to a computer via antenna. Which is what the youtube clip above is advertising.
This article, however was written in 2004. So why do we not see it being used in our supermarkets? Was it because the idea did not work as well as was hoped? or was this just their starting point and they have moved on to a new improved idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment