This blog has been created for me to regularly demonstrate my thoughts and what I have learnt about Future Trends and Emerging Technologies

Monday 6 August 2012

Is EFTPOS in decline?

As modern systems become more popular are we to see the end of the EFTPOS card?

Years ago, when the EFTPOS card first came out, not many people were willing to give it a go. They considered it more convenient and safer to use cash or cheque. These days we would consider it more convenient to use EFTPOS than using cash or writing a cheque. In fact you probably wouldn't come across many who do write cheques these days and as for buying in cash - this is something you would hardly ever find in my wallet as I usually have to make a special effort to get cash out for my daughters school activities.
I came across an article, while researching the decline in EFTPOS, which was written in June last year. The article suggests that, in Australia, EFTPOS is definately on the way out as Australians make use of more modern systems like the Debit card, credit cards and shopping online, but they also believe that in New Zealand it is unlikely that the EFTPOS card would be ditched anytime soon.
As online shopping becomes more popular it inevitable that modern systems, such as the Debit Card, will become the more popular choice which will result in the decline of the EFTPOS card.

No comments:

Post a Comment